Yes, I know this birthday blog post for you is an entire MONTH late. I could tell you it's because Easter, house hunting, packing up, moving, and unpacking got in the way (and that's all true), but I'm still sorry that this year your birthday got just a little bit lost in the crazy. Yes, we celebrated you turning 5 (see the pictures below in this post) and yes, we did slow down a bit to have some parties (remember this?), but I still feel like I just blinked and it was your birthday -- your 5th birthday!
Can you tell that I'm having a hard time even believing that my second little girl is already FIVE years old? But you are. And everyday you remind me just how grown up you are getting to be. You are usually the first to rise, and come into my room and wake me up (often you scare me because you are so darn quiet). Your curly-ish hair is getting so long, and I'll admit that I still hesitate to give you many trims because I am afraid if I cut your hair, the curls will suddenly disappear and never return. And you are getting so tall and slim. You had a real growth spurt this past year and I just can't believe how tall you are these days. You've always been a more slender build (though your 9 lb. 10 oz birth weight might throw some people off initially...). And you ask me all the time if you can start ballet and "do school". Yes, you are definitely growing up fast.
(this is one of my favorite pictures of you, sweet girl. So happy having a fun Disneyland date with Daddy)
You are still our goofy, excitable, silly-face-making Elise. You are another year older, but you haven't lost any of your thrill for living and loving. You have mostly stopped your arm flapping, but it still happens here and there when you are VERY excited (or very upset). And you are always using goofy voices and cracking us up.

You bask in the love and attention of others, and you are an expert snuggler. In fact, I have to remind you that my tummy is growing, and so are you and my lap doesn't work for you very much. But we still get plenty of snuggles off my lap while we read and when you jump into bed with me for a few minutes in the morning and when you give me great big bear hugs just because.
Here you are with your godmother-- Aunt Sara!
You are still our passionate, emotional Leesie-B. You can sense how others are feeling and are quick to offer comfort (unless it was a pain you inflicted on someone else..., but we're working on that). You love to laugh and often laugh so hysterically that you can't stop. You love to be tickled by Daddy. You actually ask him to tickle you and wait in eager expectation for the tortuous tickles that are sure to bring a torrent of giggles from you with them. And you also cry or tell at the seemingly small and insignificant things. Yes, you are cut from the same mold as your mother. When I'm happy, I'm HAPPY, but when I'm sad, I'm SAD.
This was from your birthday. We went to Mom's group that morning and one of my friends gave you all sweet headbands and her daughter, Meredith played with you guys and drew mermaids with you. Oh to capture the joy that such simple things bring you and learn to find that joy in simple things myself. :)
You just have so much joy, sweet girl. Keep that joy forever.
You still have many fears. One of them is learning to ride a bike. You are so afraid that you will fall as soon as you begin to pedal, so you keep your feet firmly on the ground and will hardly give it a try even on this smaller bike we got you. Even the idea of training wheels makes you nervous, but you will get it. It just might take you longer to conquer this milestone than some other kids because of your very intense fears. In the meantime, you are really overcoming your fear of falling off your scooter and you have really begun to have a lot of fun with it. It's fun watching you scoot around with your grin ear to ear.
Always making a funny face
You LOVE your sisters and would do just about anything for them. Sometimes you play nicely with all of them. Sometimes you want to play whatever Kayla is playing and defend everything she says to the death. Often you and Ava are buddies and play all sorts of games together. You laugh, you color, you make up stories, you read, you dress up...but playing with your sisters is definitely your favorite past time.
This year it was your turn to be our St. Lucy on her feast day and you were thrilled at the chance to be so big and grown up and responsible. And you were so cute in all your excitement.
You love everyone with a ferocious, infectious, enthusiastic love and we are so lucky to have you in our life. Thank you, sweet Elise, for teaching us to be patient and remember that fear is a challenge we all face (in varying degrees) and it's ok to struggle so long as we are trying our best to put our trust in Jesus. Thank you for your snuggles and your hand that finds mine when I'm a tough moment. Thank you for your goofiness that brings joy and laughter to our home. Thank you for shining your light in our lives and being so very YOU! We are so thankful to God for giving us you.
We love you, Leesie!
Happy belated 5th birthday, Elise Marianna!












No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!