I think it's rather easy to consider yourself "Pro-life", but it's not just something to tack on a resume to make you look 'more holy' and hope that no one actually asks you about it.
The Catholic Church established October as "Respect Life month", and I found a brief description at avemariapress.com: "The month of October is Respect Life Month. When we hear "respect life," most of us immediately think of the pro-life movement to end abortion. This is a key cause to support during October (and all year round!). But Respect Life Month is also meant to remind us of the issues of capital punishment, euthanasia, contraception, and respect for those with disabilities.
September 28 begins the 40 Days for Life campaign that coincides with Respect Life month and ends on November 6. The three components of 40 Days for Life are:
Prayer and Fasting
Peaceful Vigil
Community Outreach"
It is true that there are so many different and yes, controversial "LIFE" issues. I love it that the Knights of Columbus are out collecting money in cans for people with mental disabilities this month. I also love it that people are organizing prayer vigils at abortion clinics. The girls and I were able to make it to one in Sacramento this past weekend. It was beautiful and prayerful. I arrived a little late, but joined in with the Rosary that was being said peacefully to end abortion and change the hearts of those inside. The Rosary was followed by a Chaplet of Divine Mercy and then there were some speakers. One of the speakers was a former abortionist who is now a Pro-life doctor. Several women who changed their minds and chose life also spoke. It was beautiful, and the abortion clinic ended up closing down for a portion of the day. Praise the Lord. Click here to see some great images of the Pro-life Rally in Sacramento.
Kayla and I had made some small and simple signs the day before. She helped me find pictures of babies to paste on and she used rubber stamps with a picture of a baby and the phrase "Oh Baby" to decorate as well. Kayla proudly brought her own little baby doll and walked around like a little mommy, bouncing her baby, and cuddling her close.
As far back as I can remember, my Mom took us down to a local abortion clinic and we prayed to end abortion. I was actually born on the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, so I have from a very young age been grateful that my parents chose life. There were some times in my childhood where money was really tight, but I am and will always be eternally grateful to the family and friends who helped and supported our family and to my parents for choosing life even when it may have seemed like a hard choice with all the monetary pressures.
Chris and I have had our own set of struggles with money. We weren't too worried when we got pregnant with Kayla because well, she was the first, and we had at least a year of both of us working full-time leading up to her birth. Elise, on the other hand, was a bit more stressful. When I saw the positive pregnancy test, my first thought was not a happy one. It was something to the effect of "We can't have another kid yet. We don't have enough money right now!" Of course, 5 seconds later, I was telling myself that things would be fine. We would adjust our budget somehow and God would provide if we placed our trust in Him.
Yes, Elise, you were and always will be the RIGHT CHOICE. Our lives are infinitely better because of you, and we love you so very much. We aren't raking in cash, and we don't own our own home yet, but we have two beautiful little girls whose lives are so much more precious than any of the material things that we don't have. We love you, Kayla Cecilia and Elise Marianna! Your lives are precious to us and in a world that advocates for "choice", I can honestly say that there is indeed a right and a wrong choice here, and we chose the RIGHT ONE: YOU!







I love this, Laura! I didn't know this month was Respect Life month. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete