Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Contentment

Contentment. People seem to have very different views of what it means to be content. Some people think that content is what you are when you have finally got to the point where you have everything you ever wanted. Some people think that being content with what you have is just a way to be lazy and not work toward goals and actually making something of your life. To me, contentment doesn't mean that you have everything or that you have no goals or plans. It means that you are truly happy with the things that you DO have and that you would still be able to be happy even if none of the plans you work for ever happened.
Elise is content


For example: We want a house. We currently live in a two-bedroom duplex. We have lived in several other one or two bedroom abodes. We have two children. We'd like to have more kids someday. We each have hobbies that could use a little extra space as well. We are both working currently to slowly save up for this goal of ours. However, we are called to be content now with our two-bedroom duplex.

That means not just putting up with it, but actually embracing it and loving it and being happy that this is where we are currently. Many awesome memories are being made here in the present. Chris has come up with some beer recipes and brewed them for the first time here. I made my first ever homemade raviolis in this place. I sewed my first real item here. Kayla has made many fun and unique projects here. Elise started walking in this small residence. Kayla gets to experience having a yard for the first time here. Chris finally has a place where he can use a charcoal grill. Elise said "Mama" and "Dada" for the very first time up here.
Kayla is content


Our goal is for our next "home" to also be "Our first house", but the other side of contentment is that as much as we work toward that goal, we also have to be willing to let God's plan happen as He wills and in His time. I love having goals and working toward them, but to keep perspective I also have to realize that there is still a chance that some of those things will never actually even happen for me. That doesn't mean I'm a loser, or a failure, or that God isn't taking care of me. It just means that He knows better than I do what is good for us. Surrendering to God's will is not easy because it means that some of my "dreams" may never come true like they do in fairy tales. It also means that dreams that I never even dared to dream about WILL come true. Contentment is all about learning to be in God's will and accept whatever he sends your way. It's also about learning that God's timing is perfect even when it may not seem that way.
Elise is NOT content...


I am certainly NOT a model of this yet, but the more important part is that I am working at it. I truly WANT to live in God's will and not my own. Every time I have allowed Him to be God and taken leaps of faith with Him, He has blessed me more abundantly than I could ever have imagined.

Counting your blessings is a huge part of contentment. If you can learn to be thankful for all that you have and trust in God's plans and not your own, it is then that you find contentment and peace. And what a beautiful experience it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!