Thursday, January 31, 2013

Marriage Preparation

We have three little girls. I am already worried about when they get to the age where they are interested in boys because that, to me, is when parenting gets really scary, especially in the world we live in. Living together and sleeping together before marriage are commonplace now. I want my girls to demand respect from men and to understand purity and that it STILL EXISTS!

Did I mention that Kayla is already planning her future marriage? She told me the other day, "I think I'm going to marry Elijah someday, Mom." (Elijah is the son of some family friends, just about her same age) So I am already putting together a required reading list to prepare our girls for dating and marriage. If they choose the 'nunhood' as I like to call it, these books will still be beneficial because after all, marriage is supposed to mirror Christ's relationship with the Church.

Originally I got this idea from my sister-in-law, Tracy. When I was dating Chris, she gave me a required reading list that she said everyone who is getting married should read together. Chris and I had to do it long distance because the year we were engaged, our relationship went long distance since I graduated from college and started my first year of teaching, leaving him behind to finish up his senior year at Franciscan. I am forever grateful to Tracy for suggesting the reading list, which I have since added a few of my own to.

THE LIST

And the Bride Wore White

A great book for young women about purity. A friend recommended it to me when I was in high school.
For more information read here

By Love Refined

A book of letters to a young bride, offers lots of insight about learning to live with and truly love another.
Read more about it here

A Catholic Handbook for Engaged and Newly Married Couples

This book brings up some topics to be discussed including living together, birth control objections, and even breaking off an engagement if you are uncertain. Can be referenced here and there or read straight through.
Read more about it here

Three to Get Married

An amazing work by Fulton Sheen. Move through slowly and discuss with another (perhaps the fiance, if applicable)if possible.
Read more here

Holy Sex!

This is a great book showing the beauty of Catholic teaching regarding human sexuality. Some people will be surprised at the Church's teachings...not so stuffy as they're often portrayed!
You can find more infomation here

This list is a work in progress...please feel free to comment with your suggestions for good books regarding sexuality, dating, purity, marriage etc.! May has well start preparing for the future now....

2 comments:

  1. I started writing a comment here the other day but it was getting WAY too long so I wrote my own post with other marriage prep book ideas here: http://muffindome.com/marriage-preparation/
    :)

    Thanks for writing about this. It is a great topic for discussion, and great to get others' insight on good books on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. excellent list on your blog, Laurel! Interested to go read some of those now. Thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!