Do I work in accounting and help people with their taxes? No.
Taxes do add to my work load at this time of year though, as I am the resident tax lady and it is my
But I digress (I do that a lot...)
This is the time of year when many California high school students are taking the state exit exams. One of my part-time stay-at-home jobs is to rate the essay portions of said tests. The scoring sessions run about 2-3 weeks with a 1-2 week break and then another 2-4 weeks. My other part-time work from home job is only about 4-5 hours a week, so we take advantage of the scoring sessions and I generally max them out so that I'm working about 35-45 hours a week with my combined jobs.
So for the next 2 or 3 weeks, I will be in a reading daze. This time around is a particularly boring prompt, so entertaining essays are few and far between. I did read an essay the other night which, when read aloud, sounded like the lyrics to a rap song. "Youngster get shot at. People on the streets. Get an education. Just go to tutoring. Don't wanna be a drug dealer. Selling on a street corner. Go to school. Stay in school."
Another gem discussed the dire need of donuts being offered at an after school program. While completely butchering English grammar, this student somehow also managed to write about 50% of their essay on their apparent love of donuts. They named each and every kind of donut that you have ever heard of. I am the type of person that enjoys a good donut about 3 times a year. I don't love them and I don't go out of my way to purchase them on any kind of a regular basis. Somehow this poorly written essay made my mouth water for one of my favorite old-fashioned glazed donuts though...ah, the power of words.
Another essay discussed the difficulty of science class. I happily read their suggestion that "Bill by the Science guy can give some pointers in our science class." Good ol' Bill Nye the Science Guy--helping students around the country learn that "there are billions and billions of stars in the universe". Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill! (yep I've got that little song stuck in my head now...)
And last but not least, I read an essay in which the student argued that "this generation is more mature and developed. The reason for this absurd maturity is that companies are pumping hormone filled chickens and cows straight into our stomachs". Also, we take many vitamins. The most incredible part of this essay was that the person was dead serious. I, on the other hand, was laughing my head off.
While I read mostly terrible high school essays and wonder about the state of our educational system, I look across the room and witness this

I love them.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!