1) Wow, you have your hands full. Are you done?
2) Are you trying/Will you try for the boy?
I read this blog post today by Allison over at Catholic Sistas . I found it amusing that the clerk asked her if it was "religious". I have never been asked it that way before, but I found her answer of "Yes, and we LOVE it" to be perfect.
I struggle with the urge to accurately portray my faith and beliefs on the one hand, and the urge to slap the person and tell them mind their own flipping business on the other.
Of course, my favorite part about her blog post was the clerk's response of "People become Catholic on purpose?" when Allison mentioned that they had converted several years back. Yes, and in fact, people have more than 1 kid on purpose sometimes too.
With regard to the question about "trying for the boy" which everyone always has to ask-- as if I have ANY say in the matter! I mean, honestly, I think we all know that having a baby isn't just like putting in an order with Amazon-- I'd like a baby boy with the super saver free shipping, please. Come on, people! We aren't looking for a specific product here. Every person is different and unique and we will happily accept any little person we are blessed with.
With regard to the question about "trying for the boy" which everyone always has to ask-- as if I have ANY say in the matter! I mean, honestly, I think we all know that having a baby isn't just like putting in an order with Amazon-- I'd like a baby boy with the super saver free shipping, please. Come on, people! We aren't looking for a specific product here. Every person is different and unique and we will happily accept any little person we are blessed with.
At my favorite store with free samples and huge carts, the cashier asked me the "are you done" question. I replied, "Probably not." He literally stood there for 5 seconds and still coming up with no response, just said, "oh." Anyway, the point of my post was to note how faithful and courageous Allison was in her answers. I wish I could go the step further and "push my luck" as she says. I always get caught tongue tied when people question my mental stability for choosing to have 3 (or more!) kids.
I'm going to commit the Proverbs verse "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a picture of silver." (25:11) to memory this week and pray for the grace and the wisdom to know what to say and how to say it when people wonder about my insane and highly abnormal life choices.
Because I am very content. I love my family and I love my Catholic faith.
What kind of responses do you give to "those" questions?
What kind of responses do you give to "those" questions?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!