Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Summer Reading list idea

I am always a bit bored with the summer reading programs put on by our local libraries.  I mean, I love that they are getting kids reading, but I always wish there was a little more direction for kids than "Read this many hours or X amount of books".  I get that it's pretty tough to get kids to read, but maybe that's because we rarely make it any fun nor do we introduce them to a variety of literature or take time to explore and discuss it with them.

Our girls are young, but each of them has a FUN summer reading list that I developed. We are only a few days into it and there's already a need to head back to the library to get more books because are so excited to read (be read to at this point).  The best part is that I have not even mentioned the fact that they will get a prize of any kind yet.  They are just excited about the books and putting check marks on their chart!


I am realizing that I should have put even more books on here for my (almost) 5 year old.  She is eating it all up.  Perhaps I will make another small one once this is completed.  She doesn't know about the prize anyway...

We are making it simple and she can get a mini-prize (AKA a fruit snack) for every horizontal "tic-tac-toe" and then there will be a grand prize for the completed "blackout". 

* Note: You could give a prize for every "tic-tac-toe/BINGO" horizontal, vertical, and diagonal, but I personally think it's unnecessary and might take away from the excitement they get about actually reading and move the focus to prizes, prizes, PRIZES! 

This is the summer reading chart for our 3 year old.  Our 1 year old has one too with 9 squares,
 but more nursery rhymes, books about babies, and less books total than this one for our 3 year old.

You may have noticed the "book extension" in the lists above.  That can be a little craft/outing/activity that somehow relates to one of the books you read.  So if you read a book about butterflies, perhaps you might go for a walk and look for butterflies or visit a butterfly house or color/paint a picture of a butterfly. 

Below is a list of categories that you could use to develop your own summer reading challenge for your kid(s).  Our 5 year old has a love affair with ballet, so we were sure to include that theme on her list.  Be sure to find ways to bring your child's unique interests into the summer reading, but not allow them to take over, so that they still get a variety.  

Book categories/themes:

* ABC's                     * Numbers/counting                   *Colors

*Animals                    *Dance/sports/recreation            *Music

* Nature (some that are JUST pictures are ok, too; just spend time looking and discuss what they see)

* Art/artists                *Books in the same series           *Rhyming books

*Nursery rhymes        *Chapter books                         *Poetry

* Humor/funny           *Saints and Biographies              *Bible stories

*Historical fiction        *Mystery                                   *Non-fiction

*About a favorite character (i.e. Winnie the Pooh or Fancy Nancy or Nate the Great...)

*Time period              *Math concepts (i.e. time, fractions etc)


Making these reading challenges inspired ME too, so I made up a simple Summer Reading challenge for myself too.  I've already begun and I have been so glad that I challenged myself to make more time for reading (for me!) again.  It's wonderful.

My summer reading list

  • 1 Historical fiction book
  • 1 book recommended by a friend
  • Read a chapter of one of the Gospels each day
  • 1 Classic
  • 1 Non-fiction book
  • 1 book about a Saint
  • 1 book of poetry

Any book recommendations that would fit into any of our categories?

Please share your favorites with us
and let's READ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!