Wednesday, April 29, 2015

God's Word-filled Wednesday: Romans 8:11- The Power in You


Have you ever been hiking with a toddler? 

I admit I have a love/hate relationship with it.  

The hubby and I love to hike.  And we hope to instill a love of nature, hiking, and adventure seeking in our kids.  But it's no easy feat.  Because hiking with kids brings out the whines.  

Two steps in and they are often complaining already...

"Mom, my legs are hurting!"  "Dad, I need another drink of water!"    "Mom, I need to take a break."    "I'm hungry!!"    "I can't do it!!!"

My husband and I glance at each other over their heads, roll our eyes, smile brightly, and speak encouragingly,
  "You CAN do it.  Let's just take it a step at a time.  You are doing great!  Here, hold my hand.  We'll walk together.  Ready? One foot forward.  Now the other...."

As we go on, there are moments of silence again as we all trek on and breathe deeply. 

 Along the way, we point out some of the beauty which surrounds us. 
"Do you see the butterfly fluttering on the path over there?"  "Look, that cactus is blooming!"   

Sometimes, someone stumbles and falls.  We help them up, hold them and wipe away a tear or two, then keep climbing.  

They ask questions.    
"What's that noise, Mom?"  "Dad, do you think mountain lions live here? Will we see one?  I don't think I want to see a mountain lion...."

And yes, they complain some more.  
"I'm TOO TIRED!"   "Let's be done."  "I can't do it!!!!!"

We keep encouraging them. 
 We keep speaking LIFE to them.  

And before we all know it, we've conquered a mountain together.  

Our (almost) 6 year old can hike 4-5 miles.  Our 4 year old can do 2-3.  Because of us?  No. 

They had the power inside them the whole time.  

They just needed a push.  A gentle prodding.  A tender word of encouragement.  A kind affirmation. 

The Holy Spirit lives inside each of us.  

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.  
(Philippians 4:13)
We can climb mountains, even move them because the Spirit lives in us and works through us.  

He's there.  Trust Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!