Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Camping in Kings Canyon- Day 2

Surprisingly the girls slept quite fitfully and did NOT wake up at the crack of dawn.  Instead they slept till about 7 or 7:30am.  Forgive me while I do a happy dance because THAT never happens when you camp.



We had two tents and 4 adults (ah, the luxury of having my parents along), so we split the kids up for the night.  Kayla and Ava slept with my parents in their tent and Chris and I slept with Sophie and Elise.  I confess that I did not sleep as well as the girls did.  My hips were quite sore in the morning from sleeping on my side cuddling the baby during the night.  But no real complaints because it's pretty normal not to sleep that comfortably when you are pregnant or have a baby, so no biggie.  And in case you misread that--No, I am not pregnant.  I have a baby.  :)

 

Chris took the 4 pictures above just after he woke up 
 

these selfies are also from Chris' camera

After we had breakfast and put away all our belongings, we drove up the road to check out the Roaring River Falls.  The hike was very short and easy (about 1/4 mile), and we were glad that we didn't pass it up because it was beautiful.  

photo credit: Chris

 


After that fairly brief and beautiful stop, we headed up to Road's End.  From there, many folks take off on backpacking trips.  There really weren't any "day hikes" per se, so we just did the first couple miles of the Copper Creek Trail to get some lovely views of Kings Canyon. 

 
                                                                        

 
Photos by Chris



 
more photos by Chris




 

I'm the gal on the left                                      Here's my mom trying to
with the handsome guy in red.                      keep Ava from cliff diving.



Kayla and Elise were being big whiners at the beginning of the hike and I finally just started praying a Rosary and Elise decided to stop her whining and pray along with me.  After a few decades, she got her energy and she and Kayla happily hiked with Granddaddy without further complaints.  Ava hiked for almost the last 2 miles of the 4 miles out and back that we did.  She wanted to jump and bounce which made me a little nervous, but made my mom even moreso.  So she held hands with Nana for a good portion of the trail or followed behind her with strict orders to walk, not jump unless she was holding someone's hand.  And she did.  

After our hike in the warm late morning sun, we headed back down to find a place to eat our picnic lunch.  We found a spot near the river and enjoyed our tasty meal.  We noticed a large number of Amish folks milling around and Elise apparently got stung by a bee because when we left her right eye was swollen.  


Photos by Chris

On our way out of the park to head back to my parents house, we stopped at one last waterfall- Grizzly Falls.  It's literally on the side of the road, so there wasn't even a true hike which was nice since it was the last stop of our day.  

 

When I asked the girls today about their favorite memories from Day 2 of our camping trip, here are the answers I received.  

Kayla- "I liked hiking.  After I stopped whining, I really started to look around and I saw all sorts of neat stuff like really colorful rocks. Some of the rocks had 4 or 5 different colors and I would have missed them if I had been too busy whining."

Elise- "I liked hiking after I was whining.  We sang songs with Granddaddy."

Ava- "I liked the fruit snacks that I ate in the carrier."  I asked what she saw in the carrier and she answered, "I saw trees and rocks!"


All in all, a really fun trip.  We enjoyed the camping and the hiking and the many fun memories we all made together.  And the beautiful gift of God's creation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!