Monday, February 15, 2016

Lent 2016--- Read, Pray, Play

I could tell you of all the grand plans I have for Lent this year because that's usually how I treat Lent.  It's like New Year's Resolutions except Bigger!  Better!  More spiritual!  And usually my Lent fizzles about 2 weeks in.  Some things die out after only a few days because I just. can't. even. 

So this year, I was all set to do probably that exact same game plan except in my mind it would be better because instead of like 20 things on my list I'd have only 15!  Most years, Chris and I have picked a couple things to do together as a couple.   So in my mind, we're already back up to like 17 things I really should be doing (at least that's what my brain keeps saying).  But , this year is different.  Here's why.  

Lent came early.  So early.  

I wasn't ready for it.  I just didn't have time to prepare my huge long list.  My little sister just got married at the end of January and all my siblings were out in CA for the wedding and I turned around and it was Mardi Gras.  Whaaaaaa?

So I get this invitation in Google Drive that Chris has shared a document with me.  It's a plan for Lent.  And it's simple.  Really stinking hard, but simple.  

***We usually sit and watch a show together in the evenings. *** 
Not during Lent. 
No shows.

Read more
 (individually--we both have some book lists we've been working on but never seem to get through...)  
Play more games.  Play guitar and sing together more. 
 Share more dreams and reminisce about the past. 

Not easy, but a trade.  A trade that is good for us. For US. 

***We usually sit and watch a show together in the evenings. ***
***And snack on something.***

Not during Lent.  
No snacks. 

Exercise together.  Laugh together.  

Not easy, but a trade.  A trade that is definitely good for us. 

***We usually sit and watch a show together in the evenings, snack on something, and chit chat a little about the day and often the frustrations. ***

Not during Lent. 
No negativity. 

Pray more.  
Take turns going to the Abbey for a night each week to spend some time in Adoration and go to Confession.   
DAILY thankfulness, a decade of the Rosary and a Station of the Cross each night as a family.  
(The Rosary and Stations books we've been using are these.  My mom purchased them for us)


Chris is also taking each of the girls on a one-on-one each week.
 He should get 2 dates with each of the three oldest during Lent.  He and Kayla are on their first one-on-one today--Can't wait to hear how their adventure goes!

So there you have it.  A Lent that I didn't plan (or rather OVERplan!).

And everything we are doing, we are accountable to and/or dependent on each other in order to make it happen.  I'm pretty grateful for my hubby right about now, because I think that this "encouraging each other path" that he has chosen this Lent is perfect.  It's not easy, but we are in it together. It's not complicated though.  It's just moving our schedules around and making time for different, more important things.  Together.  On our own.  Together.

What about you?  
I'd love to hear from you.
What prayers are you loving this Lent?  
What books are you reading?  
How are you slowing down some?
Share, share, share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!