Thursday, June 30, 2016

Happy 7th Birthday, Kayla!

Kayla Cecilia, you're my oldest (but of course, YOU know that well).  You're the little girl who made me a mom for the first time.  And it's so crazy to me that it was 7 years ago you made your grand entrance into the world.  It doesn't seem like that long ago that I was waiting for your arrival and wondering who you would be.  And yet, in so many ways, I feel like you've been part of my life forever.  From a very young age (just ask Nana or your aunt Christine) I wanted to be a mom.  When people would ask what I wanted to be when I grew up, I didn't even have to think about it.  "A mom." 

  And I've been so blessed to be your mom.  You are such an incredible gift of a daughter.  Thank you so much for making me a mom and for being such a fun, sweet, and inquisitive daughter.  You fill my heart with love and joy each day and I'm so very grateful for YOU.  Happy, happy birthday, sweet girl!

You are always finding ways to make me smile.  When I work scoring shifts, you bring me sweet treats and fill up my water bottle.  When I'm having a terrible day, you remind me to stop and say a little prayer.  When I need assistance, I know I can count on you to help me gets things done.  
 

You are a joy to teach.  Sure, you have your days where you just want to play, but you have a natural curiosity about the world around you and a love for learning.  You pick up things quickly and we love to see your mind grow and develop as you explore the world around you.  

Due to your hard work and vivid imagination, your writing has taken off this year.  I love to see you use "fancy" words to describe things and just the other day you wrote the most clever little story about a magic tree with diamond seeds and sparkling leaves.  You are just as wonderful a story teller in person and we love to hear you excitedly sharing your experiences and new ideas with us with that huge grin of yours.  

You certainly have days where you get defiant and show us how strong-willed you can be, but are also able to use that strong will in positive ways, and amaze us with your perseverance on long hikes, your backpacking trips with Daddy, and learning new skills.  

You are and always have been a great sleeper.  Though you stopped taking naps this year, you could certainly still use one many days because you just play SO hard at everything.  You run hard, bike fast, read avidly, and some days it just all catches up to you and you simply can't NOT sleep.  On those days, we find you curled up in some funny places.  We've found you under your desk, in Mommy and Daddy's bed, on the couch, on the floor with pillows and a blanket, and even under the bed.  

You love to read and explore the world through books.  Your current favorites are Tinker Bell and Fancy Nancy chapter books, Magic Treehouse, Princess Ellie, and the various American Girl series.
 

  You also have a current love for coloring and you take your time and make it look truly lovely, staying carefully in the lines and using lots of different colors and coloring techniques.  


You are thoughtful and kind.  You are often found memorizing Bible verses and teaching them to your sisters.  You may not have the most talent in the area of singing, but you sing with all your heart and love to lead your sisters in songs and performances.  

Of course you still love to dance.  You can't wait to begin ballet again in the fall, and have been dressing up in various ballet costumes all summer break--dancing, twirling, and twisting about.  

You are such a precious, sweet daughter, and we are so blessed to have you in our lives.  Thank you for entering our world 7 years ago and making our lives more full with your big heart and your happy smile.  We love you so much, Kayla, and may God bless you this year and always.  Have fun being a big 7 year old.  


 
Happy, happy birthday, Sunshine!

2 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest thing I've read all day. What a wonderful little girl you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the sweetest thing I've read all day. What a wonderful little girl you have.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!