Friday, August 12, 2011

2011 sewing challenge

One of my New Year's resolutions (wait, I'm actually still working toward them and it's July? I think I just got bonus points for that!) was to learn how to sew. I cannot say that I (as yet) have learned. BUT I can say that I am learn-ING! I am progressing. Sure it's a very slow paced progression, but I am nonetheless progressing.

Let me explain. Sometime in 2010 my dad's cousin lent me a sewing machine to work with. I was able to practice some stitches for about 30 seconds before the thread came loose. I got out the manual and tried to thread it again. I failed. I failed again and again. Chris even tried to help me. He failed. That made me feel better because he can do everything. So I figured something must have broken. Recently, my dad's cousin came to visit and brought me another sewing machine to trade out for the "probably broken" one.

And while she was here, she also gave me a little sewing lesson and started me off on a pair of little shorts that were about the size of Kayla's little baby doll. Unfortunately, when we were nearly done with both the sewing lesson and the shorts, that sewing machine broke down. At this point, I'm wondering if I should just quit my new "hobby" before any more sewing machines that I touch mysteriously break.
(This is the sewing machine she brought right before it broke)

But when my grandmother heard about the trouble, she mentioned that she has an old sewing machine that I could try. I was a little afraid that I had the "broken touch" instead of the famed "golden touch" of King Midas, but I gave it a try.
And what do you know. I made some progress. I did some stitching. I finished the doll shorts. I re-threaded the machine. I re-threaded the bobbin.
I even made a very rudimentary doll dress which is absolutely ugly and not well sewn, but Kayla loves it.
She won't let me take it off her baby (much to my chagrin when we are out in public and her doll is wearing that hideous thing I made).

But oh well, at least someone liked my first creation and hopefully that's the worst of my sewing creations. It can only get better from here right??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!