Chris' parents got me a book titled Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home for Christmas. Clearly they know me well. This book is filled with delicious-sounding ice cream treats that I can make in my little Cuisinart ice cream maker. This book is not your ordinary recipe book though. It's gourmet. There is no such recipe as "chocolate ice cream" or "vanilla ice cream" or "strawberry ice cream". No way, no how. The closest you'll get to that is "roasted strawberry and buttermilk ice cream". WOW!
There are recipes in this book that I would never WANT to try, too. Things like "celery ice cream" and "beet ice cream". I'm sure they are good and all, but I just couldn't bring myself to make that. There are also things that sound crazy, yet delicious. I would love to try "sweet potato ice cream with torched marshmallows" or cucumber, honeydew, and cayenne frozen yogurt". Again, WOW!
I started with one that was a sure hit in this house: "The Darkest Chocolate Ice Cream in the World".
Technically the first step is to freeze your freezer bowl. Did that. Then came the first step of actually mixing together the ice cream: The chocolate syrup. It used coffee, so Chris brewed up some.
Cocoa powder, sugar, and bittersweet chocolate are cooked for a bit on the stove with the coffee.
Then the chocolate syrup is whisked up with a little bit of cream cheese and a tiny bit of salt and set aside. At this time, you are also supposed to mix up a little cornstarch and milk in a small bowl. You also prepare the ice bath in a large bowl.
And the next step is to make your ice cream base. More milk, heavy cream, sugar, and some light corn syrup are boiled for several minutes on the stove. After removing the milk mixture from the heat to add the cornstarch slurry, you return it back to the heat for another minute or so of boiling until the milk mixture has thickened up a bit.
More whisking occurs next. You remove the thickened milk mixture from the heat and whisk in the chocolate syrup that was set aside earlier. I don't know about you, but I am a huge fan of the word whisk. I am also a huge fan of the actual "whisking". Such fun.
Transfer that to a Ziploc bag and submerge in the ice bath for about half an hour. We watched Arrested Development during this time period.
After our episode, it was time to transfer the mixture into the ice cream maker for 25-30 minutes. Chris took a picture of me snipping the corner of the Ziploc bag so I could pour the yumminess into the Cuisinart.
The end result is a delicious bit of very rich, very chocolatey ice cream with a hint of coffee. Chris (the resident chocolate-aholic) loved it. I feel quite certain that both his parents (from whom he got the gene) would love it as well. Mmmmmmmm. I already have a variation of one of Jeni's flavors that I can't wait to try next....
And since I know you are dying for one more look at that deliciously tempting chocolate ice cream....
Feast your eyes on that, and consider coming up the hill for a visit sometime....






I live in Columbus where Jeni's is based, so it's always funny to me when I see people mention it. They do have delicious flavors but it can get expensive. Your ice cream looks just as yummy! :)
ReplyDeleteyes, it is and not so expensive. but then i also haven't chosen to make some of her more exotic flavors that probably have several rather costly ingredients...
ReplyDelete