I have mentioned that we are a distance from our hospital. Did I mention that it is also a different hospital than the one I delivered Elise at? Our insurance changed and now we have to navigate a whole new hospital again. In the past, we have taken the handy "stork tour" where they show prospective parents where to go at the hospital when "it's time". But, because of the distance, and the fact that we now have two kids to find a babysitter in order to do that, we haven't made the tour happen this time around. That may have been a mistake.
We drove by the hospital a few nights ago when we were down in the general area doing some "house stuff" (still crossing our fingers that we'll be home owners in the pretty near future). Before I tell you about our experience, let me tell you about our last hospital...
It was awesome. They have a whole separate building for labor/delivery. So when you drive up, there is also a whole separate parking lot for labor/delivery patients and it's close to the building. In fact, there is even 30 minute parking (which we utilized last time) that was EVEN CLOSER to the building. Did I mention they have their own separate building and entrance? When we showed up, it literally took like 2 minutes to get in (and it would have taken 30 seconds if I hadn't been in active labor).
Contrast that with our hospital "tour" the other night. We drove up and were immediately confused as to which entrance to go into in the first place. We guessed right, but when we found the main entrance to the hospital, we noticed that there is no parking anywhere near it! Everything is for doctors only or restricted in some other way or blocked off. The parking lot and garage are like a mile hike on the other side of the property.
So that is strike 1 against them. Seriously you are going to make the women in labor hike across your parking lot?? I suppose you could have hubby drop you off....but that's not the only problem. Read on...
Strike 2 is the organization of the hospital building itself. When you enter the main entrance, you have to find a very specific hallway which leads to a very specific elevator where you have to get on and head up to the 3rd floor. Supposedly the labor unit is up there somewhere. What kind of people require pregnant women in labor to go through an obstacle course to have their baby???
Back to my point about having the husband drop you off at the front and park himself....as you can see, by the time he, too, got through the obstacle course and found someone who would tell him what room his wife was in, the baby would be born already.
Now, for most people, these problems are just annoyances more than actual problems. For me, who had my last child in under 2 hours, it is a little traumatizing. I am already a bit worried about making it to the hospital in the first place. Now when I go to reassure myself that everything will be alright, I find that the hospital is a logistical nightmare.
I believe this must be God trying to tell me some things. It could be one or some or all of these things:
1) Trust Him.
2) I can't control everything, deal with it.
3) I worry too much.
4) I should have been more thankful for our last hospital.
5) Calling 911 might up being my best option.
Anyway, God knows what will happen and how it will happen. I am trying very hard to laugh about the absurdity of the entire situation instead of cry about it. :) So far, I'm still laughing...I'll let you know when the baby is born if I'm still laughing about it.
And if I'm not, I will look at this picture of Elise and will soon be laughing again....what a goober!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!