Sunday, March 10, 2013

Green Eggs and Ham

I saw a picture online with green plastic Easter eggs with rhyming words written on them.  I didn't find any real explanation for the activity other than that the eggs end up with the Green Eggs and Ham rhyming words written on them.


Kayla and I read the book and I had her listen carefully to see if she could pick out the rhyming words.  At 3 1/2 she needs some extra help and prodding especially since she is really into the letter sounds right now so listening for rhymes is a little confusing to her.  But by the end of the book she was really getting it and picked them out pretty quickly.



We took the activity a little further and tried to come up with some other words that rhymed to write on the opposite sides of the eggs.  So on the 'Sam, am, ham' egg, we added jam and lamb. She needed more assistance with this part since it wasn't just listening and  picking words out; it was thinking them up yourself. She loves looking at her eggs and trying to say all the rhyming words.  We'll fill them with jelly bellies soon to keep the rhyming going and add a fun dimension.

We always read this book a lot in March because Dr. Seuss' birthday is in March, but also because St. Patrick's Day is in March and it's all about the GREEN!  When I was a child my mom made us green scrambled eggs and green muffins for breakfast every St. Patrick's Day.  We carry on the tradition around here.  The more GREEN the better because we do so like green eggs and ham.  We do so like them, Sam I Am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!