Monday, September 29, 2014

Kayla's first ballet lessons

I posted a few quick pictures that Chris took of Kayla on her first day of ballet previously. I had been searching around for a place in the area that seemed like a good fit for us, and was having a bit of trouble. I wanted something that wasn't too informal, but also something that wasn't over the top with crazy costumes and 'performances' every 2 months. Eventually I found a place, and they offered a free trial class, so I 'signed her up' and Kayla got excited. I forgot until a few days before that I actually had an OB appt that afternoon, so I had to miss out on the first ballet class experience. I fixed her hair in the tight bun they asked for, dressed her in her solid leotard and pink tights, packed her ballet shoes, and gave her a hug before handing over the reins to Chris.

My appointment was over in time for me to be back to meet Chris and the girls at the ballet studio to pick her up. She was SO excited. Her smile lit up the whole room.

The following week we were out of town, so her official start day not counting the trial class was this past Wednesday. This time it was my turn to drive her down and drop her off. She jumped out of the car excitedly, and raced for the door with only a slight glance back. We did follow her in because I wanted to watch for a few minutes and see how she did, but she would have been fine without us. She did bask in the extra attention of us following her in and watching through the glass as she and her classmates stretched and practiced. But we only stayed for a few minutes so as not to distract.



I took the other two girls to a nearby park during the lesson and then we went back about 5-10 minutes early so we could peek again at the end of Kayla's class and see what they were up to. I was impressed. They were practicing some kicks and jumps that were rather impressive considering they are beginners. One of these days, I want to leave the other two girls with Chris and just watch from a place where Kayla can't see me because it's such a wonderful experience as a parent to observe a kid living their dream and in their element. It may not always be her dream or her "thing", but it is right now and I am loving seeing the joy in her eyes and smile as she learns and dances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!