Friday, January 8, 2016

2nd Annual Christmas Caroling at the Nursing Home

After the fun we had last year caroling at the nursing home,we simply HAD to make sure it officially became a tradition this year.  
We began the evening with a dinner potluck and some music practice at my godfather and his wife's house.  There's Chris there on the the left.  Love my talented hubby. 

We finally got to meet Agnes' niece, Andrea's boyfriend.  I loved how cute and coordinated they were for the party too.  awww. 

more practice

And then it was time to head to the nursing home to do some caroling!
 

Oh my goodness, could these two get any cuter?

Ave, Kayla, and Elise with their fancy friend who was part of our caroling crew

First we began by singing in the dining area to the folks who were eating dinner and relaxing there.  Kayla stood next to one lady holding the words to the music up for her to sing along the entire time.  Elise and Ava danced exuberantly around the room.  Sophie hung out in the carrier with me until the last few songs and then she wowed all the sweet folks with her walking abilities.  


Then we headed downstairs for another sing-along down there with the folks in that section of the building.  My favorite people that we met this year were a couple.  The woman couldn't talk and at first her husband was convinced that the music was upsetting her.  It soon became clear, though, that she was crying tears of joy and singing along.  He held her hand and I held her other hand for a time.  It was just a beautiful witness to love and I was so blessed to encounter such selfless, sacrificial, steadfast love.  

 

That is my sweet husband in the reindeer ears.  Love him.

The lovely couple is here on the left and the nursing home employee on the right was enamored with Sophie and loved holding her.  
Here they are again.  
Raw, real love and beauty right here, friends.  
What an honor it was to meet them and spend some time with them.  

My dear friend,Crystal, singing, and yes, the employee in the background was also singing with gusto.  It was really neat.  

I don't think I could ever tire of seeing the joy and love in the faces of these folks.  
I am so glad that we were able to officially make this a tradition this year (2 years strong!) and I am already looking forward to our next caroling experience, though this year, I hope to return to the nursing home with the girls a few times throughout the year to visit some of the folks we met and bring them cards and coloring pages.  

And at the end of the night, Crystal gave Sophie a sweet little present to celebrate her first birthday.  What a truly wonderful way to spend your first birthday--blessing the lives of others and in turn, being blessed by those lives as well.  

1 comment:

  1. What a great tradition! So sweet to hear about the couple.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!