Kayla's First Holy Communion
May 6, 2017

And a beautiful and memorable day it was.
The day dawned bright and beautiful, but Chris wasn't feeling great. About once a month or so his sleep apnea catches up to him and he feels like he got hit by a truck and needs to sleeeeeeep forever. So he doggedly tried to get ready while I got the rest of the clan in order.
I'm decidedly not a skilled hairstylist (but God gave me four girls anyway. ;). I managed to do the french braid across her front like she wanted and she had asked awhile ago if she could use the little tiara that I wore at our wedding in her hair. Heart melt.
Her aunt (Laura of Laurel and Thistle) made her veil. I showed Kayla some examples of lace and she asked if there was any with roses. She has been really into roses in the last year especially. Her aunt Laura was able to find just what we wanted as well as some lovely trim with roses as well.

I found the dress online (our plan is to use the dress for all the girls, but to let them each choose their own veil) and it's really lovely and has a nice full skirt, but it was SO long. We had it hemmed locally by a lovely lady. If you are local and need sewing work done, I can point you in the right direction. :)
She wore a beautiful bracelet from her godparents, Uncle Sean and Aunt Christine.

Kayla was so excited to receive Jesus for the first time. At Mass they had the first communicants in the front rows and families and friends were in the pews behind, first come first serve. Unfortunately this meant that we didn't really get front row seats to view her first time receiving our Lord. We could see her lovely veil though. And I didn't need to see it all to cry. I teared up holding Kolbe in the very back of the church. My little girl was finally receiving Jesus in the Eucharist. What a gift.

Afterwards she just had such a radiant smile.

The following day, Sunday, when we attended Mass it was just too beautiful. She wore a white, eyelet dress that her grandmother sent not too long ago which was just the perfect Second Holy Communion dress. And this time, she was just in front of me as we all walked up to receive Jesus. You guessed it. I cried again. It was just so beautiful and joyful. And she was so reverent and pure.

We wanted to really make her day special, like a wedding day, and we found some lovely ways to do so. We ordered a Papal blessing for her First Holy Communion from the Vatican. We were given one for our wedding, and it is lovely. Kayla's Papal Blessing certificate has not arrived yet, but we are so eagerly waiting! Link to the website to order Papal Blessings here in case you are interested.
We also had a friend make a custom quote print for her special day.
Gina of Other Side of the Fence created this lovely 8X10 print for me. I simply gave her the quote I wanted and a general idea of what I was hoping for and she created this lovely print that we can hang in Kayla's room so she can always remember this special day in her life and continue to live the joy of the day going forward.
Additionally we chose to give Kayla her birthday present a little early this year. She had wanted an American Girl doll and we found a used one in great shape that looks almost just like her (the hair color and cut are almost identical)! This Dolls from Heaven company sells Saint outfits (and dolls actually). They currently only have a few options, but we purchased the St. Therese Sunday outfit for Elise to go with her American Girl doll for her birthday and Kayla received her doll in St. Therese's First Communion dress (which coincidentally looked very similar to hers!!).
And as you can see, we got her a little rose plant. Roses were her theme in every way for this special day. From her veil to the roses she wanted on her banner, to her St. Therese doll dress, to the roses on her bracelet, to the roses we bought for her. We hope that we can plant her roses at our new home and continue a flower tradition with each of the girls on their First Communion days. We'll see if they all choose roses. :)
She wanted a host and chalice and a cross and grapes and wheat. I suggested the "divine mercy-like" rays from the cross and she thought up having three roses to represent the Holy Trinity.

Finished product. And we discussed putting one of her favorite Psalms or a verse about the Eucharist on her banner, and she decided on some verses from John 6. Guess what Gospel they read on First Holy Communion day? John 6. :)

My friend, Megan, and her family came to the First Communion Mass as well, and she captured this shot of Kayla waiting in the back to process in.
We also got some fun pictures and ate cake together at the brief reception at church afterwards.

Megan took some family pictures outside

And she came and helped me prep for the party about an hour early too, because since Chris was still not feeling awesome, I suggested he take a nap when we got home from the Mass. Megan was willing and I was SO glad she came, because without her help for that last crunch hour before the party, I would have been stressed out. She helped prep food, held Kolbe, and did a little decor for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Megan!
The day before my wonderful friend Dannielle offered to come and help me out with whatever I needed. The kids played and she and I got the house in order because packing AND kids means that our house is always quite messy.
I didn't snap many pictures during the party, but fun was had by all!
Kayla was thrilled to receive some money to buy a St. Cecilia statue. She also had some other sweet gifts from her faraway grandparents to open.

A Bible, a book of Saints, and a little box with organized prayer cards, scriptures, etc. that she can add to. She has been poring over her book of Saints. After reading for a bit, she decided to name her doll Perpetua after St. Perpetua. She reads the little prayers in the box to her sisters and dolls and has already added a few of her own favorites. She brought the Bible with her to read in the car on the way to ballet practice today. And she has been such a huge helper to me today. She got up and got herself and all her sisters breakfast. Later when I was working a scoring shift, she got all her sisters lunch, and fixed Kolbe a bottle and fed it to him. I didn't actually want her to do that, but oh well. She read to Sophie and out her down for her nap. And then she read her book of Saints to her sisters and said some prayers with all of them. It was so sweet.

Happy First Communion day, Kayla Cecilia! May you always remain this joyful and may you always stay close to Jesus in the Eucharist. He loves you so very much, sweet girl.

































No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. We love to hear from family and friends!